Barnet Council “Bring ‘em back, all of them!” #Capita
Press Release: 29 June 2018.
Today Barnet Council have published a financial report detailing three options for the two #Capita contracts in Barnet
The options are as follows:
- Maintain the status quo in relation to the CSG and DRS contracts;
- Re-shape the contracts to better align service delivery to the council and Capita’s strengths and priorities, within the context of the existing contractual structure; and
- Bring the partnership to an end, and either bring services back in house or re-procure them.
The senior officers preferred option is Option 2 the Council.
They have identified the following services to be brought back into Council control
- Finance and Accounting (excluding transactional services provided from the Darlington shared service centre)
- Estates (Property Services, Building Services and Facilities Management)
- Strategic HR
- Safety, Health and Welfare
- Social Care Direct
- Regeneration Commissioning (including commissioning the Brent Cross programme)
- Economic Skills and Development
- Cemetery and Crematorium
- Strategic Planning
“I could say we, told you so, and we did. However the Council is in a financially critical situation and now is not the time to for rhetoric. it is time to start rebuilding our Council. I welcome the report going to Policy and Resources Committee on Thursday 19 July 2018. However, Barnet UNISON will be supporting option 3 with qualifications. We support bringing the partnership to an end, and beginning the process of bringing services back in house. It is simply not feasible to contain to peddle the Commissioning Council model. Pragmatism driven by the financial crisis has to mean that the Council needs to include in their business case a major restructuring of senior management across the Council including the Barnet Group. The Commissioning restructure 2012 is not fit for purpose. The Council need to look at how services best fit including those within the Barnet Group. There must not be a silo approach to insourcing. John Burgess, Branch Secretary Barnet UNISON
- Two Capita contracts with Barnet Council are:
Customer and Support Group (CSG)
- Regional Enterprise Ltd (Re)
Footnote: On 26 June 2017 Capita share price was 705.50 now six months later the share price closed today at 202.09 which represents a 72% drop in their share price over a six month period.
On Wednesday 31 January, 2018 the Capita share price opened up at 347 and closed at 182.50 which represents a 47.53% fall in share price.
Damning report into EasyCouncil, Outsourcing including forward by John McDonnell
Below are three short video messages from Dexter Whitfield on his report.
Dexter Whitfield on campaigning against outsourcing
Dexter Whitfield on outsourcing failures
Dexter Whitfield on true costs of Barnet easyCouncil