Fire Safety at Barnet House Update 3
On Thursday 13 September 2018, a Barnet UNISON rep accompanied the Fire Alarm engineer on a comprehensive test of the Alarm points. Barnet UNISON has consistently requested that every single Alarm point be tested since 16 August 2018.
We can report that every Alarm point successfully set off the alarm.
One of the big issues has been the delay time from pressing the Alarm which can be as high as 10 seconds.
It has come to light that this is because the Alarm system works on radio waves. Barnet UNISON view is that there should be no delays once the button is pressed which is why Barnet UNISON want the Fire Alarm system to be hard wired in order to ensure the alarm sounds immediately.
We can report the following actions agreed with Barnet Council and Barnet UNISON:
- The London Fire Brigade (LFB) will be invited in to conduct a risk assessment of their own to provide additional assurance. ACTION: by agreed deadline with LFB.
- August 18 Fire Risk Assessment Review to be assessed to ensure validity and that actions are in-hand. ACTION: by 22 Sep 18.
- Timings for fire alarm technical testing are to be shared with UNISON.
- Timings for replacing the 2nd floor call point are to be shared with UNISON as soon as possible close of play 18 Sep 2018.
- Second floor call points are to be functionally tested by physically activating, with UNISON in attendance. Completed.
- Lift repaired. Complete.
- Fire evacuation procedures will be reviewed in collaboration with UNISON: Action: by 1 Oct 18.
- Fire Safety Training will be conducted to brief staff on:
- How the fire alarm system is operated and how it works
- How the system is tested, including call points and tamper alarms
- Fire evacuation procedures. ACTION: by 20 Oct 18.
9. Barnet House fire drill is to be conducted once evacuation procedures have been reviewed and additional training conducted. ACTION: by 1 Nov 18.
Please keep a look out for eNEWS and the Barnet UNISON website for details of any further developments here http://www.barnetunison.me.uk/wp/