What we need from you?
We understand that our members have busy lives and unable to make time to attend more meetings. So we are conducting consultation through the internet and ‘traditional’ (by post).
We have devised Four Groups
1. Strengthening democratic government and community participation
2. Community need for public services
3. Improved coordination and shared services
4. Harnessing technology to improve service delivery
We have Common questions for all groups
1. What are your ideas for the future of your service or group of services, taking account that you will not have access to significant additional resources in the near future?
2. What is the key change which will get your proposals implemented – is this better use of existing resources, pooling of budgets, changing the management of service delivery, greater operational freedom for staff and/or organisational change – or something else?
3. What changes are needed in the Council’s organisational structure?
4. Consider the inputs, processes, outputs and outcomes for each proposal.
Strengthening democratic government and community participation
1. Do you have specific proposals to improve democratic accountability in Barnet to increase community participation in decision-making processes?
2. What should be the main elements of a Community Charter to increase community participation in Barnet?
3. What effect will the Future Shape organisational structure have for democratic accountability and community participation?
4. How can existing arrangements and legislation (for example the Joint Strategic Needs Assessment – PCT and Council and the Local Government Act 2007) be used to improve community participation?
Community need for public services
1. What effect will a long recession have on the need and demand for public services in Barnet (both Council and other services)?
2. Is there a need for new services which are either not currently provided or provided on a small scale?
3. What are the key improvements that community organisations and the voluntary sector are demanding from the Council?
4. Are there any services or functions which the Council or other public bodies in Barnet do not currently provide but should do so
5. Are there any services or functions carried out by the Council and other public bodies in Barnet which could be reduced or terminated?
6. What is the community experience of services which have already been outsourced or externalised to arms length organisations by the Council or other public bodies in Barnet?
Improved coordination and shared services
1. What is the scope for better coordination of service delivery between the Council and other public services in Barnet (such the Primary Care Trust, the NHS, Barnet College, the Police, Middlesex University, Jobcentres?)
• Identify the services – are they limited to ‘back offices services’
• What is the scope for better coordination and integration?
• How can this be achieved and implemented
• Identify the improvements/benefits which can be achieved
• Are there any costs/savings?
• Are organisational changes needed?
2. Is there scope for more formal shared service delivery between the Council and other public services in Barnet?
3. Do you think there is scope for Barnet Council to establish shared services projects with other London Boroughs?
4. What are the political and economic advantages and disadvantages of shared services projects?
Harnessing technology to improve service delivery
1. What is the scope for introducing new technology to improve service delivery?
2. What impact will these changes have on the organisation of work, working practice, staffing levels and accommodation needs?
3. Do you think the ideas for the application of new technology being discussed in the Council’s Future Shape group are workable?
YOU decide which Group and questions you want to contribute to.
You can send in your views, contributions by email to email@example.com or return your comments in the pre paid envelope provided in the letter you received from the branch.