Another Capita Failure in Barnet, Payroll this time…………
Late Friday afternoon 27 April 2019 Barnet UNISON were contacted to say that Barnet Council staff who had previously opted out of the Council Pension scheme had been enrolled back in.
Whilst Barnet UNISON supports and encourages members to join the Council scheme, workers do have the lawful right to opt out.
Barnet Council must obey the law and in this case this means they must auto enrol workers into the Council Pension Scheme. However, they must give notice to the worker and advise them of their right to opt out.
This did not happen.
- Members on the Audit Committee were told that Capita Payroll only found out at the last minute (Friday 26 April 2019) that an auto enrolment programme had been set up to auto enrol those workers who had previously opted out of the Council Pension scheme.
- Members on the Audit Committee were told that 170 workers were auto enrolled into the Council Pensions Scheme which meant they had pay deducted from their wages.
- Members on the Audit Committee were told that although the workers had pay deducted they had not been auto enrolled.
- If this is true, it must follow that Capita’s auto enrolment procedure failed. Auto enrolment is directed by legislation. Barnet Council must auto enrol staff every three years, unless staff sign a form to opt out. This incident has exposed another Capita system failure which needs to be addressed immediately.
- Members on the Audit Committee were told that the workers contributions which had been deducted would be paid back to the 170 workers on Friday 3 May 2019.
- Members on the Audit Committee were not told if employer contributions were paid and if so where did the money go. However, if the employer contributions were not paid, why not? Is this another system failure?
- Have Capita Payroll in Carlisle auto enrolled Barnet Council school staff?
- If not, why not, as they are the same employer?
- Why were Councillors auto enrolled by Capita as Councillors have not been eligible to join since 2014?
Barnet UNISON comment:
You really have to be in a Council meeting to believe what happens. Year after year different Capita managers roll up to give excuses and make promises that the latest service improvement plan will improve the services.
What is unbelievable is that Councillors are still accepting this serial offending.
All the while Capita are raking in the millions from Barnet Council.
We are in Year Six of a Ten Year contract and the two Capita contracts have cost £145 million pound more than they were originally contracted to be paid.